Thursday, December 3, 2009

Rebecca Wed class... story for poster

Stopping By Woods On A Snowy Evening
by Robert Frost

Whose woods these are I think I know.
His house is in the village, though;
He will not see me stopping here
To watch his woods fill up with snow.

My little horse must think it queer
To stop without a farmhouse near
Between the woods and frozen lake
The darkest evening of the year.

He gives his harness bells a shake
To ask if there is some mistake.
The only other sounds the sweep
Of easy wind and downy flake.

The woods are lovely, dark, and deep,
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.

SUMMARY/COMMENTARY:
Like the woods it describes, the poem is lovely but entices us with dark depths of interpretation, in this case. It stands alone and beautiful, the account of a man stopping by woods on a snowy evening, but gives us a come-hither look that begs us to load it with a full inventory of possible meanings. We protest, we make apologies, we point to the dangers of reading poetry in this way, but unlike the speaker of the poem, we cannot resist. Part of what is irrational about the woods is their attraction. They are restful, seductive, lovely, dark, and deep like deep sleep, like oblivion. Snow falls in downy flakes, like a blanket to lie under and be covered by. And here is where many readers hear dark undertones to this lyric. To rest too long while snow falls could be to lose one’s way, to lose the path, to freeze and die.

1 comment:

Eddorz said...

Hey Rebecca,

I was wondering if you could email me the info needed so that I could post on Olga's Blog. I can't seem to find the info any place and I have a few things I want to post up. My email is eddy.tsai13@gmail.com

Thanks!
Eddy