Sunday, December 6, 2009

Rebecca Wed. Class: Poster help!

I decided to change my story to something more recognizable. I was afraid no one would understand the concept of "Stoping By Woods On A Snowy Evening" because it isn't popular.


Humpty Dumpty

Humpty Dumpty sat on a wall,

Humpty Dumpty had a great fall.

All the king's horses,

And all the king's men,

Couldn't put Humpty together again.


I found some interesting things about the story of Humpty Dumpty. I know the character of Humpty Dumpty is always portrayed as an egg because of the fragileness of his character in the poem. As I was researching the poem, I found out the origin might have been a large cannon because of the time period (Used during the English Civil War).


FROM INTERNET:

The History and Origins of the Rhyme
Humpty Dumpty was in fact believed to be a large cannon!  It was used during the English Civil War ( 1642 - 1649) in the Siege of Colchester (13 Jun 1648 - 27 Aug 1648). Colchester was strongly fortified by the Royalists and was laid to siege by the Parliamentarians (Roundheads). In 1648 the town of Colchester  was a walled town with a castle and several churches and was protected by the city wall. Standing immediately adjacent the city wall, was St Mary's Church. A huge cannon, colloquially called Humpty Dumpty, was strategically placed on the wall next to St Mary's Church. The historical events detailing the siege of Colchester are well documented - references to the cannon.


My concept would be war. A country falling apart and then having to put it back together.... Let me know if there is any other meanings that anyone knows about.

No comments: