Wednesday, March 16, 2011

SOOMIN YOO - ENDGAME

Hi, I'm Soomin.
 This book was very confusing and difficult for me. I couldn't understand why all characters repeated something weird and meaningless. Nothing was clear. That was my first impression of this book. 
My concept of 'Endgame' is about something endless. No one knows this game(?) is going to be over, or not. There's no answer whether Clov is leaving Hamm, either. I felt that they were kind of stuck in the house and it would never end.

 This poster represents that 2 main characters who repeat again and again. I don't know where it starts or ends. They are just stuck a space(house), standing a (random?) point, and doing something meaningless.
This one represents Clov who is stuck and moving around the house. And the author controls the play.


2ND WEEK



-I made a pattern with type(it looks just gradation color, though :'q).
I was planning to do french binding to express 'endless' concept.




I think I should try another version with 2nd poster.
I'm expecting you guys' opinions :D
Thank you and have a great day! Good Luck!!!

5 comments:

Olga Type said...

I think your idea for the cover of the book flap is good, but I can't see the spine texture you put on it. I wish you just continued the line through the spine into the back to make on-going. Also, I'm not sure if the typeface for "Samuel Beckett" works with your title typeface. Maybe you should play with a couple other typefaces.

Your 1st first title page is basically the same as your cover, maybe you can try it in a different way and I'm not impressed with how the left part has a hazy gradation. I think it bothers me. Either take it out or fade it in smoothly into the white of the paper.
Same thing with your 2nd title page.

I enjoy very much your character page, but once again, the gradation on the left bothers me a lot.

Olga Type said...

The one thing driving me nuts is all the white space on the cover there's soo much of it! Maybe if design was a bit bigger it would look more like a belly band and get rid of some of that white space. It's looking good though!

Cheers

-Omar

Olga Type said...

i'd go with the 1st one but i would have the line go though the spine to keep true with your concept of a non ending atmosphere. i like the white space and minimalist look. check your kerning. the gradations aren't working either. try another texture?

good luck,
amie.

Olga said...

A very good discussion. I have nothing to add. Belly-band is a very interesting idea. I love white space and minimalism, but typography is not strong yet.

Olga

Olga said...

The last page gave me an idea of an endless horizintal scroll.

Olga