Friday, March 20, 2009

Caligula Poster Ideas





Well Caligula isn't quite a man, but a troubled boyed pretty much filled with self hate, ashamed of himself etc. for all the horrible things he has done, etc. I started out with a cartoon suicide idea somewhat giving a very unfunny story a comedic spin, and from there went with a toy mannequin sporting a really big head, trying to keep it childlike, showing the change in his crown from green and leaves that are alive, to dead leaves. To push it even further I came up with the idea of an upset/ashamed  child sitting on his throne aka toilet during potty training. I thought it was hilarious and am now thinking I want to use this image as the poster. The most up to date one is the poster with all type with colored crown on his head. Turning away from the previous brown going more towards marble/stone color since its the story of the roman emperor I found it more appropriate.

Nicholas Shelton


4 comments:

Meagan Burns said...

Great choice of imagery, I think the boy on the "throne" is a great idea and very engaging. A few things I'd like to comment on, I don't know the play so I can't say much for the meaning behind your poster, however design wise I would like to see you use the original photo instead of the vectorization, I feel like it looks good at a small size in your thumbnails, but when I view it bigger it kind of falls apart. I really like how you are integrating the crown, I would definitely go with that approach because it says to me right away "greek." Is that a typeface you are using? It's interesting, but almost looks like you used the vectorization tool on the type as well? Not sure if it's just because it's paired with the vectorized image that I'm making that assumption. Cool stuff! Makes me want to read the play.

Olga Type said...

Nick,
I think you achieved the humor in your poster. my fav. poster is the boy sitting on the toilet with the crown over his head- i dont know if i mentioned it in class but I really love the color choice of the crown.

i also agree with meagan about the vectoring of the image, maybe you should use the real image- or maybe draw it. As far as the type goes, try some more versions with different styles- maybe one that has like a childish feel-not sure if that will work. but i think your poster is really humorous great job!

-Jonelle

Olga Type said...

hi nick,
I also agree with Jonelle's comment.
I can see you tried to achieve humor in your poster!
my favorite one is third one with colored crown.
but i think if you change the placement of type element( the informations) will be better-
I don't know like inside of toilet bottom side or somewhere else-
i think you really did a good job!


-bin-

Olga Type said...

Nicholas, I was reading your great explanations, people reactions and made my own observations: I am still hesitating how to react to your piece.
I know that you are fascinated with your new image. I agree with Meagan that it doesn't need a posterized treatment. It came originally from those cute cheesy porcelain little sculptures and needs to remind about the source. It actually adds some additional sarcasm to your idea— "a pop-culture idolization".

I like #2, although type on #1 lowercase is more appropriate to this "childish" image.

My problem with this composition is that the connection between the "caligula" word, the image, and your brilliant branch reads slowly. Maybe, the branch is not that vivid, not as clear in you previous profile oriented images. And if it takes time to read, something is wrong or weak.