Monday, April 6, 2009

In case, you are still confused.

I was thinking that my answers to some students could be helpful to all of you.

Those images that you collected are YOUR materials, you can consider them "found objects" that you are going to use, examine carefully, use as a whole or partly, play with to create a visual book under YOUR art Direction. These are not inspirational materials, but materials that you are going to build your book aot of. Remember, I showed you my Seagate Beach Passes book? I was given only those passes, that I was not even impressed by, I didn't have any reaction to them, but my goal was to create a book using them—to make people see something special in those not really "special" to me cards, to become sensitive to many tiny things that were invisible before, to build a structure out of them, not to create a boring catalogue or inventory of those objects, but to create a poetic, inventive fabric of memories, make those totally mute and invisible elements  speak, sing, scream because You touched them. Of course, you can write a list of sources where you found them, but your goal is to respectfully reinterpret them visually. You CAN NOT  change those elements, but you can play with their sizes, colors, rhythms as if they were abstract visual materials or different types of fabric. 

You CAN NOT use images in the body of the book because it is about the text, but you might consider using your images for the endpaper and the cover.


Please bring ALL your materials in class.

Olga


No comments: